Coffee has become a part of our daily lives. It’s everywhere from Starbucks to local cafes. The question is, why should we drink coffee? What are the benefits of coffee on health?
Coffee contains caffeine, which is known to improve mental performance and reduce stress levels. In addition, it also provides antioxidants and other nutrients that promote good health.
Coffee is rich in antioxidants and polyphenols, which can help prevent heart disease and cancer. Coffee also helps boost metabolism and improves sleep quality.
The most important thing about coffee is that it doesn’t contain sugar or calories. So you can enjoy your favorite cup of joe without worrying about gaining weight!
Here are the top 20 benefits of coffee on health
1) Coffee Eases Anxiety – Studies show that people who consume three cups of coffee a day have lower rates of anxiety than those who don’t.
2) Coffee Can Help You Lose Weight – Research shows that the caffeine in coffee may increase metabolic rate and cause individuals to burn more fat. A study published in Obesity showed that the type of coffee consumed could impact this result. Women who drank caffeinated coffee had an average BMI (body mass index) between 1-2 points higher than women who didn’t drink any coffee at all.
3) Coffee May Lower Your Risk Of Type 2 Diabetes – Researchers believe that coffee may protect against diabetes by improving insulin sensitivity. They’re still not sure whether this effect comes from caffeine or something else in coffee.
4) Coffee Can Improve Concentration – According to research conducted at Harvard University, students who drank four cups of coffee per day performed better in tests of attention and focus than their non-coffee drinking counterparts.
5) Coffee Can Reduce Chances Of Dementia And Alzheimer’s Disease – Scientists at Boston University found that drinking 3-4 cups of coffee a day can cut the risk of developing dementia and Alzheimer’s disease. This protective benefit was attributed to high levels of caffeine. People who drank less than one cup of coffee were unlikely to see these benefits.
6) Coffee Can Make You More Creative – A study published in Psychopharmacology suggests that coffee increases brain power by increasing blood flow to the frontal lobe, which leads to improved creativity.
7) Coffee Can Prevent Diarrhea – Another study found that people with diarrhea caused by antibiotics tend to experience fewer episodes if they drink coffee. The reason for this link isn’t clear, but researchers suspect that caffeine might play a role.
8) Coffee Can Boost Bone Health – When men over age 65 started drinking five cups of coffee a day, their bone mineral density increased significantly.
9) Coffee Can Fight Depression – Many studies suggest that moderate consumption of coffee can fight depression. One study found that depressed patients who drank four to six cups of coffee each day experienced an improvement in mood within two weeks.
10) Coffee Can Protect Against Heartburn – A recent study found that people who regularly consume caffeine-containing beverages like tea, soda, and coffee aren’t likely to get heartburn as often.
11) Coffee Can Be Good For Your Skin – Caffeine has been proven to speed up cell turnover so you end up with smoother skin. It also helps your body produce collagen and elastin, two proteins that keep your skin supple and firm.
12) Coffee Helps You Live Longer – Those who drink three or more cups of coffee daily have a lower incidence of chronic diseases like cancer, stroke, and cardiovascular disease.
13) Coffee Can Help You Sleep Better – A study published in the journal Neurology found that people who drank four to five cups of java before bedtime reported sleeping better.
14) Coffee Can Keep You Sharp As An Adult – If you’re over 50, drinking coffee can help prevent cognitive decline. In fact, a study published in JAMA Internal Medicine found that older adults who drank between three and five cups of coffee daily had a slower rate of mental deterioration compared to those who didn’t drink coffee.
15) Coffee Can Help With Weight Loss – Research shows that consuming about 500 mg of caffeine daily may boost metabolism and increase fat-burning capacity. However, higher doses will cause weight gain.
16) Coffee Can Lower Blood Pressure – A study from Brazil found that individuals who consumed four or more cups of coffee per day had lower blood pressure than those who only drank one cup.
17) Coffee Can Help You Lose Belly Fat – Researchers at King’s College London recently discovered that caffeine could be used to burn belly fat. They concluded that drinking black coffee reduces the amount of abdominal fat we store.
18) Coffee Can Improve Cholesterol Levels – Studies show that drinking coffee is linked to lower cholesterol levels. This effect was seen even among heavy drinkers.
19) Coffee Can Reduce Stress – According to research conducted at the University of Scranton, coffee improves our ability to deal with stress.
20) Coffee Can Make You Smarter – A study from Yale School of Medicine found that students who drank 3-5 cups of coffee every day were smarter than their peers who abstained.
Frequently Asked Questions
|Like so many foods and nutrients, too much coffee can cause problems, especially in the digestive tract. But studies have shown that drinking up to four 8-ounce cups of coffee per day is safe. Sticking to those boundaries shouldn't be hard for coffee drinkers in the U.S., since most drink just a cup of java per day.
|Coffee containing caffeine can cause insomnia, nervousness, and restlessness, stomach upset, nausea and vomiting, increased heart and breathing rate, and other side effects. Caffeinated coffee is POSSIBLY UNSAFE when taken by mouth for a long time or in high doses (more than 4 cups per day).
|Coffee contains more antioxidants
Both coffee and tea contain antioxidants — chemical compounds that may reduce your risk of certain conditions like cancer or diabetes. "Coffee has more antioxidants generally than tea preparations," says Chow.