The Breville Barista Express is a great espresso machine that can do it all. It’s simple to set up, but there are some things you need to know before you get started! Ready to try brewing your first espresso? Read on for our best tips and tricks so you can make the perfect cup of coffee with the Breville Barista Express.
What grind should I use in my Breville Barista Express?
We recommend using medium or coarse ground coffee. This will provide more flavor than a fine ground one, which might be too bitter tasting if used on its own. You’ll also want to experiment with different types of beans once you find what tastes good for you. Espresso blends like Lavazza
How about any tips and tricks? Here are my favorite grinds, espressos, and lattes with the Breville Barista Express:
- My favorite grind for this machine is a medium espresso roast. This should be close to what your local coffee place would use in their beans. If you are using whole beans instead of preground then try brewing it as an Americano or Cappuccino by adding hot water after grinding until there are about 60mls (a little less than two ounces) left in the portafilter – don’t fill up the filter basket! There will be some leftover coffee powder so just give that enough time to settle before pouring out your drink. For Espresso I like to use my own blend which has been roasted dark but if you’re looking for something from the store I recommend Lavazza beans for their depth of flavor.
- My favorite Lattes include steamed milk, a shot of espresso, and then any type of flavoring you want to add on tops like vanilla extract or cinnamon. To make this drink with the Breville Barista Espresso Machine just measure out your desired amount of ground coffee into the portafilter – we’ll go ahead and say it’s 200 grams (about seven ounces) because that will be enough for two cups worth – put an empty cup under the spouts so they can drip in there as well and then push them down. Push all four buttons at once: one button to turn on steam release which should take about ten seconds; another button for hot water; another button for cold water; and the last one to start extraction.
- Breville Barista Express has an automatic grind feature built-in so it automatically adjusts its settings as you use your machine, but if you’re not using espresso beans then I recommend a medium setting of about “36”. The manual will give you specific instructions on how much coffee goes into each size cup or glass.
- When making lattes feel free to experiment with different types of milk: whole milk, soy milk, almond milk – any type! You can also try vanilla extract or cinnamon instead of flavoring because that’s what I do when I make my drinks at home. Remember that this is just latte art though and doesn’t affect the taste, so feel free to make it your own!
How do I clean my Breville Barista Express?
- Use water mixed with a little dish soap and a soft cloth or sponge to wipe down the Breville Barista Express. Do not use any abrasive cleaners because they will damage the glass carafe, which you’ll want to keep as sparkling clean as possible!
- We recommend cleaning Breville Barista Express after every use, but you should also pay close attention to the milk pitcher and frothing head during each wash as they are most prone to have residue build-up from using them!
- Cleaning the Breville Barista Express is surprisingly easy. To remove any loose grounds and oils that may have accumulated after brewing, you just need to pop open the brew head of your espresso machine with a coin or screwdriver – this will release them so they can be easily wiped away. For more stubborn stains on the exterior (like coffee spills and sticky residue) use dish soap, warm water, and a gentle scrubber- then wipe clean for an even surface again!
- Breville Barista Express BES870XL is not dishwasher safe so we recommend wiping down all surfaces with a damp cloth and dry afterward for the longevity of the machine.
The Breville Barista Express series
It includes models that can make up to four cups of espresso at once: BES870XL (which is what this article focuses on), BES860XL, BES840XL, and other useful pieces like the Burr Grinder attachment for an even more customized café experience.
What are my favorite things about Breville barista express?
Apart from being super easy to set up – just plug in and turn it on – there are so many features that make it perfect for home use. The Breville Barista Express series offers a wide variety of grind, espresso, and latte tips too!
How big is the Breville Barista Express?
It’s about the size of an average microwave oven – not too large that you can’t find space on your kitchen counter but also not small enough to be cluttered in storage cupboards or cabinets.
What are some features I should know when buying Breville barista express?
Cleaning is easy as pie with dish soap and water because there’s no milk carafe to clean up afterward! And cleaning isn’t something you’ll need to do often thanks to the stainless steel imported from Germany which resists fingerprints, heat stains, and other unsightly mishaps.
Breville Barista Express has a 15 bar Italian pump with Thermo coil heating to ensure that the water is heated up to 200 degrees F in just 30 seconds so you don’t have to wait long for your espresso. With one touch of a button, using the built-in automatic frother or steamer wand, it’s easy enough for anyone from an expert coffee drinker such as yourself down to those who are newbies and haven’t had much experience making their own espressos before!
What about a warranty?
Breville offers peace of mind with their product warranties – they’re confident enough in how great these machines work that any problems will be taken care of by them instead of leaving customers on their own.
The Breville Barista Express – it’s a machine that can do it all!
And with the Breville Barista Express, you’re only limited by your imagination when it comes to making different drinks! From lattes and cappuccinos to various espresso variations like ristretto, longevity, or Americano (to name just a few), there are plenty of recipes available online for those who would like some inspiration in this area. The best part is that after using these machines countless times myself, I have yet to come across an unsightly mishap such as under extraction because they really are so easy to use.
Key Features of Breville Barista Express BES870XL
- The Breville BES870XL has a “pulse” button which allows you to get more control over how much water is forced through the coffee grinds – this can be helpful if you’re dealing with finely ground beans that don’t want to sink into any other filter but will still come out of one with some force. I also personally recommend investing in an Aeropress or Moka Pot for brewing because they’ll give you different results than what’s possible on Keurig machines and even though their costs are higher at first glance, they have lower overall costs because they require less frequent filter changes and replacement.
- The Breville Barista Express has a removable drip tray, meaning that you can put it on the side when not in use or remove it entirely to have more access to your beans for grinding and other tasks (it’s also dishwasher safe). It comes with two different sized portafilters – one espresso size which is double shot capacity at 17 grams of coffee grinds plus an additional single shot basket that fits up to nine grams. You’ll want this feature if you’re planning on frothing milk or using any type of hot water – some people like their lattes extra strong!
- One thing I would recommend doing early on is adjusting the auto-off timer so that it’s set to a time that works for you. This will save the Breville Barista Express from shutting itself off after two hours of inactivity which can be inconvenient if it gets turned on and forgotten about (or when making multiple drinks like a latte).
Breville Barista Express Setup (Details)
- After unboxing your Breville Barista Express be sure to remove any packaging material set aside in a safe place – anything else can be recycled. We recommend you remove any protective plastic from the milk jug, coffee grounds container, and frothing pitcher after reading the instructions in your manual.
- A power cord is not included with Breville Barista Express BES870XL so make sure that it’s plugged into an outlet near where you’ll use it – we suggest plugging it close to a light switch as well for convenience if needed!
- If this is going on top of your kitchen counter then take off the ‘feet’ at the bottom which are just small rubber pads before setting up Breville Barista Express on its flat side to save space (you can find them under Breville Barista Express when unscrewing). Next, place the magnetic drip tray underneath by rotating it to its position.
To sum up, about Breville Barista Express, we have found that it’s a very well-designed espresso machine that brews delicious espressos, lattes, and cappuccinos.
If you’re looking for a high-quality espresso maker then Breville Barista Express is perfect with its stainless steel finish and easy-to-read display making it an attractive addition in any kitchen or home bar area!